Tuesday, June 18, 2013

My "Genreless" Style

One of my goals as an author is to not to always write the same kind of novel. I don't want to be stuck in one particular genre. Sure, I will probably have some recurring themes, but one story may be speculative while another may be a western, and the next a mystery thriller.

My first rule of writing is to create something that I would want to read; I write for myself, in other words. With that, I've enjoyed reading a variety of genres - science fiction (Asimov, Clarke); mystery (John Straley); action-adventure (Clancy), and literary (John Irving, Umberto Eco) to name a few.

Also, I don't want my work to be predictable. One of my favorite authors is Iain Banks because when I crack open one of his books I've no idea what I'm getting myself into. All too often I've enjoyed a particular writer (or filmmaker, or band) only to not want to read them ever again because they simply become a predictable derivative of themselves.

When it came to market my book, I had to put it into some kind of category, wherein I discovered the wonderfully ambiguous and interchangeable labels of literary, mainstream, and contemporary - the perfect homes for writing that doesn't adhere to strict guidelines of any one genre.

The irony here being, of course, that literary, mainstream, and contemporary are considered specific genres.

No comments:

Post a Comment